“Sons of Sissy”
Organiser Vaba Lava and Sõltumatu Tantsu Lava
Simon Mayer’s group performance Sons of Sissy focuses on the universe of traditions, folk dances and folk music from which the Upper Austrian country lad Simon Mayer originates.
In an experimental manner, four performers and musicians make use of traditional alpine live music, various group dances and ritualised practices. Liberating them from conservativism and conventions, they establish an unseen fusion of artistic reinterpretations and temporary social attributions of meaning.
Defying categorisation and pigeonholing, the Sons of Sissy do everything they can to live up to their name as they conduct themselves as part weird folk-music quartet, part experimentally playful ritual dance combo, using humour to radically disrupt the hackneyed male role models in old traditions.
With the kind support of the City of Vienna’s Department of Cultural Affairs, the Arts Division and the Culture Division of the Federal Chancellery of Austria, Kulturland Oberösterreich, Vlaamse Gemeenschap, Kunstenweerkplaats Pianofabriek Brussels, WP Zimmer Antwerp, im_flieger, Kunst- und Kulturverein SPIEL.
Performances on 14 and 15 January 2017 at the Vaba Lava venue.
Artist´s talk after the second performance on 15 January.
- Idea, choreography, performance, music Simon Mayer
- Performance, music Matteo Haitzmann, Patric Redl, Manuel Wagner
- Special instruments Hans Tschiritsch
- Stage and costume design Andrea Simeon
- Light Martin Walitza, Hannes Ruschbaschan
- Artistic consultant Frans Poelstra
- Production Sophie Schmeiser, Elisabeth Hirner
- A co-production by Kopf hoch, brut Wien, Gessnerallee Zurich, zeitraumexit Mannheim, Tanz ist Dornbirn, Independent Dance Stage (STL) and Vaba Lava
- Tour production Sophie Schmeiser, Hiros
Cast: Simon Mayer, Matteo Haitzmann, Patric Redl, Manuel Wagner